Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Campground Etiquette


2012 Jan 3

What is the proper campground etiquette? I mean, if you are the new guy in the space, are you expected to introduce yourself to those who 'live' next door?  Since this is only the fourth campground we've been in, and only the second where we've stayed for a week, all this is new to us and while I don't want to be "aloof" I also don't want to be "pushy".


In SC, we stayed three days and since there weren't many folks in the campground, and because I was sick, there wasn't much socializing. When we got to and stayed in Bradenton, we had very friendly folks next door, but still didn't socialize a whole lot because I was still sick and it was Christmas and I was missing family. Now, we've been here in the Keys for about five days, I finally feel healthy again, but I'm not sure how to address the "neighbor" issue. New folks just pulled in to our right and I'm not sure if we should introduce ourselves or not. 


Maybe part of the issue is that I am a bit shy and quiet around folks I don't know. Add to that the fact that many of the residents here seem to have standing relationships. They visit one another. I feel like what we are, the new kids. What is the expectation on the part of the "new kids"?  As someone who is not particularly outgoing, I'm not sure what to do. And as this will be a consistent occurrence, I need some feedback.

5 comments:

  1. You can never go wrong by saying 'hi' to your neighbors and introducing yourself. However, it is courteous to wait until they get leveled and their utilities hooked up. You'll find most people in campgrounds are happy to wave and say hi. To get a conversation going, it is kind of like a tennis game. You throw the conversational ball into the other person's court. They will either keep it with a one word answer, or send it back into your court with their own question. You'll find that you'll immediately 'click' with some people which can lead to more conversations. You'll meet all kinds of people...shy ones like yourself, really gregarious people who makes friends with everyone, and others who are a little standoffish... happy to say hi and make a little small talk, but otherwise keep to themselves. If making friends is your goal, you will have to be willing to put forth a little more effort to connect with those who are not as outgoing, just like when you lived in your stix house. Many people are happy with the status quo either keeping to themselves or staying with their clique. However, overall you'll find RVers friendly and willing to give a helping hand when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say it never hurts to be friendly.....well, maybe I shouldn't say "never" :) , but I think you have more opportunity to meet people and continue to learn if you are friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say hi when you see them. If they seem like they want to talk, walk over briefly and introduce yourself. If they look like they don't, just smile and move on. If you click with someone, tell them to come on over and have a soda. I've never walked over to their space unless they were sitting outside and acted like they want to chat, and I keep it brief and allow them to come over and say hello again. If I clicked with someone, I'd offer them a burger if I saw them while I was grilling out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Margery. . .we never like to be interrupted when hooking up, and always extend that same courtesy to others. . .but as a carryover from my mail delivery days, I always smile and say a hello, how are you to everyone. . .and often find the simple question of, "where you guys from?" to be a great conversation starter.

    Janice
    ReadyToGoFullTimeRVing,com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we're doing better with our people skills :) When we were in the Keys, often we were the rare English speaker, so that made conversing a little more difficult, although the Spanish speakers were very friendly, smiled and said, "hello". In North Fort Myers, we had a nice mix of friendly and not so much. Although the not-so-much folks seemed to be French speaking and perhaps did not speak English. Since I don't speak French, there wasn't much interaction. Here in Ft Myers, nearly everyone is super friendly, even to our old dog :) It's easier for Raymond than it is for me, I think, mostly because I'm more of a loner than he is. But I have met and spoken with some lovely people since we've been on the road. I just need to get over being shy and learn to adapt more quickly to each new environment. This experience is stretching me and that's a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete